Lead Software Engineer
About the role
We’re looking for an enthusiastic, experienced Lead Software Engineer with plenty of.NET and cloud experience to help drive and deliver a large programme of exciting technical work.
We work with a wide range of clients – the Royal Navy, Honda, Orange and many other leading global brands – and an even wider range of technology.
This role is a great opportunity to get your teeth into an exciting, enterprise-level platform that we have built from scratch as part of a Europe-wide IoT system and help drive and deliver new features and functionality.
We work primarily with .NET and Azure. We need someone with experience working with enterprise-level software and smaller-scale solutions alike. Experience integrating systems is really important. And the ability to solve problems you may not have encountered before in a considered, intelligent manner.
Day to day, we’d expect you to be carrying out the below activities as part of your job:
- Writing high-quality software in C#
- Working with Microsoft Azure
- Peer reviewing code
- Leading projects
- Mentoring other software engineers
- Contributing to improving our ways of working and processes
- Exploring and encouraging the use of cutting-edge technology
- Feeding in to estimates for projects
- Communicating complex technical solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Solving interesting problems of all shapes and sizes
We need you to be comfortable with the below technology:
- C#, .NET
- HTML, CSS
- Modern infrastructure architecture patterns (including on-premises, hybrid and cloud)
- Modern application architecture patterns
- Application security and best practices
- Performance optimisation and testing techniques
Bonus points if you also have specific experience with:
- React Native
- App development
- Content management systems (e.g. Sitecore, Umbraco, AEM)
Tech aside, these characteristics are very important to us:
- Great problem solver
- Enthusiasm for what you do
- Be able to give and receive feedback with an open mind
- Passionate about the quality of the end product
- Have good awareness of industry trends, best practices and standards
- Adaptable at the pace of an agency
- Be able to take on the challenge of learning new tools and frameworks
- To own your place in the team and help to continuously improve the Engineering team for everyone
Working at Great State
We’re a growing strategically led digital agency of 85 – with offices in both Bristol and London. We offer our staff some great benefits and if you come and join us, you’ll enjoy:
- Working in a collaborative, honest environment where everyone is encouraged to have a voice no matter what their position
- 20 days holiday – PLUS we usually shut down for roughly 2 weeks over Christmas
- A dedicated training budget – we’re keen to see you progress as quickly as possible. If you have the passion and drive to success, we’ll support you.
- A contributory pension
- Plenty of nights out on the company credit card!